Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bun B's Trill OG = 5 Mics???

So yesterday I read that Bun B got 5 Mics in The Source. I had already downloaded my copy of it but had yet to listen to it. I burned it off and threw it in the car to listen to. I had already heard the track he has with DJ Premier, which is a banger and I've been giving a lot of play. I was immediately intrigued when I heard the news. Only a few good albums over the last few years. Very few. No disrespect to Bun B but I never thought I'd hear a classic album from him.

Hit the link below to continue reading what my thoughts are on this.

Anytime anyone has received the 5 Mics rating, most hip-hop fans argue about it and discuss for quite some time. Below is a list via Wikipedia of all albums that received it originally and later on.

Albums That Never Originally Received Five Mikes But Were Awarded Later:
Albums That Originally Received Five Mikes:
Albums That Originally Received 4.5 Mikes:
Albums That Originally Received Four Mikes:

After listening twice now, my opinion is the same as it always has been. The Source needs to hire me. There are quite a few tracks that should have been left off the album. A classic album should never have a skippable song. I really only like about 4-5 out of the 16. That's no 5 Mics in my book or anyone else's that I know. If I were to review this it would have gotten a 3 1/2. Drop 3-5 of the filler and it could be 4 1/2, which is very strong. My favorite song is "I Git Down For Mine". I do suggest everyone to give it a chance, it's not too bad, just not 5 Mics.

You can stream snippets of the album on the Amazon Music Player in the top right-hand corner of my page. If you like the album, click "Buy" within the player and it will take you directly to Amazon to make a quick purchase.

Sidenote--I still can't believe Reasonable Doubt didn't get 5 Mics!! They should've fired all the staff for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment